About a year ago I didn’t know what a book sleeve was or that something like that even existed. To me the book sleeve craze seemed to have come out of nowhere. I resisted for a long time (really, I did), but a while ago I finally gave in. I bought a sleeve, from Book Beau, the only seller I knew of at the time. And I loved it. Once other shops started popping up all over, I really wanted to know, “how were they all different from each other?” Anyways, fast-forward around 4 months, and I went a smidge sleeve crazy. I started making my own for fun, and then I went and ordered like 3 in the space of a week (it was bad). But finally, I figured I had collected enough for a substantial review. So, I hope you enjoy and maybe give a new shop a chance!
Instagram handle: @ardentadmirations
Size: Indie (large) – $17.00 (+ shipping)
- There are a lot of cute fabric combos for the inside and outside of the sleeves.
- The sleeves are made from thick, sturdy foam.
- Sizing runs on the small side.
- The Indie size fits smaller hardbacks and larger paperbacks.
- The shop does not have a regularly kept inventory.
- It is stocked in weekly spurts that sell out pretty fast, so you have to be on your game if you want a specific sleeve.
Instagram handle: @bookbiff
Size: Standard (large) – $16.00 (+ shipping)
- Cheaper pricing than some competitors.
- Cute exterior fabric choices.
- Sizing runs small.
- The “large” size fits smaller hardbacks and larger paperbacks.
Instagram handle: @bookbeau
Size: Extra Large – $25.00 (+ shipping)
- Very well know/popular
- Has a large inventory of fabric and sleeve choices.
- The inside is basic foam with tricot – no fabric interior.
- Their customer service is less than satisfactory.
- Sizing runs very small.
- The XL size fits smaller hardbacks and larger paperbacks.
- In my option, they are overpriced for their quality.
Books Breathe Magic
Instagram handle: @booksbreathemagic_shop
Size: Large (11 x 8.5) – $17.46 (+ shipping)
- Tons of cute fabric options and combinations
- Shop is always fully stocked with lots of sleeves
- The pricing is the same for both of her sleeve sizes (10 x 7.5 & 11 x 8.5), which makes me feel like the larger size is the better deal, and therefore not go for the smaller size.
- I find the side tag annoying (but this is honestly just a personal preference).
Created by Rae
Instagram handle: @createdbyraemn
Size: Large – $16.00 (+ shipping)
- Uses flannel fabrics, which I find cute, cozy, & unique.
- The inventory is always fully stocked with many options and sizes.
- The foam that is used is slightly flimsier than I usually prefer.
Making Your Own Sleeves
- There are tutorials all over the internet on how to make them.
- It’s cheaper than buying from a shop.
- You can pick whatever fabric combinations you want.
- It’s a super fun and nifty craft project (one that I really enjoy doing).
- There is a bit of a learning curve to making a perfectly symmetrical sleeve.
- You need to have the right equipment and enough space.
- You usually have to buy fabric in quantities that make more than 1 sleeve, which can add to the price tag.
Thanks for reading! I hope this was at least a little helpful!