We came up with the idea for this post months before we wrote it. In that time period we completely forgot what our goal in writing this post was going to be. Books we like to read in the summer? A list of books that take place in the summer? Books we have enjoyed and read in the summer? Who knows?
But once we refocused, we decided to go with our favorite summery themed contemporaries. We wanted to recommend some titles because while most people tend to read contemporary or romance just in the summer, we read them all year long.
When looking up books for this list, we realized that of all the contemporaries we read, very few are actually summery themed? Most of the summery books we’ve read are of the iconic early YA variety (i.e. Sarah Dessen and Morgan Maston’s books). But here’s everything else we could dig up too.
Blatant Summery Content: The main theme has something to do with it being summer and/or summer shenanigans.
- Literally all of Morgan Matson’s books (Amy and Roger’s Epic Detour, Second Chance Summer, Since You’ve Been Gone, The Unexpected Everything, and Save the Date)
- The Summer I Turned Pretty series by Jenny Han
- Sarah Dessen books (specifically Along for the Ride, The Truth About Forever, Keeping the Moon, and Just Listen)
- Alex, Approximately by Jen Bennett
- Summer Sisters by Judy Bloom
- Sleepaway Girls by Jen Calonita
- 13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson
Subtle Summer Vibes: The book takes place during summer, but it’s not super pertinent to the plot
- Rhythm, Chord, & Malykhin by Mariana Zapata
- Mammoth by Jill Baguchinsky
- When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon
- The Unhoneymooners by Christina Lauren (okay this just has a summer feel b/c it takes place in Hawaii)
xoxo, Bree & Tree