Float Plan by Trish Doller
Publication Date: March 2, 2020
TW: suicide, self harm, depression
This novel follows Anna whose fiancé, Ben, died by suicide 10 months before the start of the novel. One day she gets a calendar alert that they were supposed to leave on a sailing around the world trip that day and she impulsively decides to go. She soon realizes she is out of her league and has to hire a crew. In walks Keane Sullivan who is too nice and very helpful. Anna starts being able to deal with her grief as she sees the world.
WHAT I LIKED:
- It was so easy to fall into this story (especially once Keane shows up)
- I’m trash for Road Trip books and this is like an extreme version of this
- I just like the whole emotional journey & actual journey paralleling each other
- I read a nonfiction book where a couple sailed together and this lowkey reminded me of that & I felt like I knew nautical stuff (I don’t)
- This reminded me of one of my all time favorite novels, Just One Day, with the guy playing a similar role in the story
- It is all about finding yourself and the person you are, but done on an epic trip
- I just love people finding themselves and growing!!
- Keane!! I loved this man, did he seem a little too perfect, 100% yes, but this is fiction + HIS BROTHER WAS AMAZING TOO
- I loved all the people they ran into & the dog
- Anna’s relationship with her mom and seeing it evolve
- I love books that I fly through and I read this one in two sittings which was awesome.
WHAT I DID NOT LIKE:
- Some of the writing was not *the best*
- Also, since I read that sailing nonfiction, some of the sailing seemed a bit too “rose colored glasses” and too neat
- I would have liked to see more from Anna’s family & her friend
Overall, I really enjoyed this novel. It is a fun debut and I would read more from this author. I think her next book is about Anna’s sister.
*Thank you to NetGalley & the publisher for the eARC in exchange for an honest review*
Also, shoutout to my Aunt & Uncle for being ~extra~ and buying a boat so I could take the header photo for this post!! (Okay, fine this was not the reason they bought it, but it worked out perfectly)