All the Right Reasons by Bethany Mangle
Publication Date: February 15, 2022
Plot: Cara and her mom get cast on a reality dating show where her mom is the lead and Cara comes along to help vet the suitors and her potential step-siblings.
If you’ve been here for more than a second, you know I watch The Bachelor Franchise shows and LOVE a reality TV setting in a book. So when I was offered an ARC of this one, I jumped at the chance to review it.
WHAT I LIKED
- Reality is very juvenile a lot of the time so even though parts of this felt juvenile (this is younger YA) it really worked with the setting.
- I loved Cara and her mom.
- They fight, but their relationship felt real and you can tell they really care for each other.
- I am such trash for reality tv settings in books.
- Some of the creating of the show and the behind the scenes were some of my favorite parts.
- I really just liked the concept of this book.
- YA cannot really have a “reality tv dating show” plot since they are minors, but having her mom be the lead and Cara tagging along was the perfect twist.
- I read it really fast which is my favorite thing.
- I had DNF’d two books prior to reading this one, but this one sucked me right in.
- There was some clever and funny dialogue which I always appreciate. I definitely LOL’d a few times.
- ALSO, the cover is SO CUTE!! I love the art style.
- Minor spoiler maybe? But, I really liked who her mom chose.
WHAT I DID NOT LIKE
- I wanted more from the ending! Everything is wrapped so quickly.
- I also wanted to see the viewers response to the show!
- The pacing as a whole was a bit off
- It was a slow pace for most of the book only to speed WAY UP for the last 75 pages. I think being a bit longer would have helped with this.
Overall, I would recommend this one if you want a fun and quick YA read with a unique setting.
*thank you to the publisher for an ARC copy; all thoughts are my own*
Since I review a lot of reality dating show books on the blog, here are the reviews to those. Please note these are all adult (not YA) titles.